Jeanne Assam said, "It seemed like it was me, the gunman, and God." Assam, who has some law enforcement experience and a weapon of her own, had been fasting that day and felt a need to be vigilant about more security at the church that day. She was a volunteer on their security team.
She a said, "I give the credit to God. And I say that very humbly. God was with me and the whole time I was behind cover -- this has got to be God, because of the firepower that he had vs. what I had.I did not run away and I didn't think for a minute to run away, I just knew that I was given the assignment to end this before it got too much worse. I just prayed for the Holy Spirit to guide me." Watch a video of her telling her story here.
Matthew Murray, the shooter had a high powered rifle, one thousand rounds of ammunition and smoke bombs when he entered New Life Church. Earlier that day he shoot and killed two leaders at Youth with a Mission (YWAM) outside of Denver. Murray, a few years ago had been part of YWAM and had written threatening letters to them.
Here are some articles of interest:
* From the Denver Post "Killer Motivated by Revenge" It is said that he hated Christians.
* Gunman sent hate mail to Youth with a Mission from Rocky Mountain News
* Matthew Murray posted violent threats towards Christians to a website between the killings at the Youth with a Mission base and New Life Church
* Here's Odegard's blogpost, "Defending the Church Against Maniacs, Crooks and Others"
* Why Your Church Needs Armed Security a post from Steve Sjogren
* Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition Cal Thomas column